Why Dental Sealants Play an Important Part in Protecting Your Child’s Teeth Woodland Hills, CA
Standing behind the child with a stern expression, parents will do just about anything to ensure their children brush and floss on a regular basis. Much to the parents' efforts, children still seem to attract tooth decay or infection. The risk of tooth decay for children can even begin before they reach the age of 3. While a child becomes more capable of brushing his or her teeth without a parent's assistance, the child may not properly brush or reach all of the necessary areas of the mouth to remove plaque. If most adults cannot reach the areas they need to, then a child will definitely not be able to reach every area with a toothbrush and allow plaque to build up over time.
Extra Protection with Dental Sealants
The food particles a child misses with a toothbrush will feed the plaque on the teeth, which will help to promote tooth decay. We understand that balancing a family schedule with work, school, chores and extracurricular activities can make it difficult to ensure a child brushes his or her teeth at least twice a day. Due to common dietary habits, the possibility of cavities forming in children becomes much higher and more common than some people may realize. Fortunately, dental sealants can help children grow up with healthy teeth and prevent tooth decay.
The type of issues an endodontist treats
Most parents, upon hearing about a dental sealant procedure for their children, think, "There's no way my child will remain calm or even want to set foot in the dentist." With the care that we provide, parents do not have to worry. Not only is the sealant procedure painless for the child, but we also have the experience to help keep a child comfortable during this procedure.
Dental sealant is like little defenders on a child's teeth and is a liquid solution that quickly hardens as we place it on the top of the teeth. The dental sealant hardens within seconds of placement and is long-lasting. Dental sealants can last up to 10 years and protect the tooth enamel from decay. A dental sealant will also prevent any decay on that tooth from spreading further.
We understand that regardless of the procedure, children may be uncomfortable visiting a dentist. As a pediatric dentist, our team can help children feel more comfortable at the office and creates a welcoming atmosphere from the waiting room to the dental chair. We will complete the dental sealant procedure in a safe and efficient manner.
Check out what others are saying about the extra protection of dental sealants on Yelp: Why Dental Sealants Play an Important Part in Protecting Your Child's Teeth Woodland Hills
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Family Dental Terminology
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries is also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants are a solution of plastic material that we apply to the crown of the tooth to protect the areas within the ridges of teeth from infection.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a thorough cleaning procedure that involves preventing the spread or continued growth of periodontal disease and gingivitis.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Etchant is a gentle acid to treat the surface of a specific tooth to help the filling material stick to the tooth.
- Occlusion describes the mandibular and maxillary rows of teeth meeting when the patient bites down. If a patient does not have a healthy bite, they are struggling with malocclusion.
- An overjet is a bite orientation that results from the maxillary central incisors (top center teeth) protruding over the mandibular central incisors (bottom front teeth); this may also be known as “buck teeth” by patients.
- Pregnancy Gingivitis
- Pregnancy gingivitis is gingivitis that results from the common change in hormones during pregnancy that increases blood flow to the gum tissue, increasing sensitivity, irritability and swelling in the gums.
Are you looking on information about how a cosmetic dentist can improve the appearance of your smile? A study conducted by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry showed that about 50 percent of adults think that a smile creates a lasting impression on a first meeting. More people are beginning to look for ways to…
Dental implant surgery can be a scary procedure that causes dental anxiety in patients. By understanding what to expect during dental implant surgery, however, patients can calm their nerves and take each step of the process in stride.The dental implant process is very detailed, and there are several stages that take place throughout the procedure,…
Looking for details on how Invisalign can improve the way you look when you smile? If your teeth are not as straight as you would like them to be and, for that reason, you tend to hide your smile, then know that Invisalign is a teeth-straightening option that just may be the right choice for…
Are you wondering if cosmetic dentistry is for you? If you are not completely happy with your smile, then there is likely a treatment that can help you.In the past, getting a new smile was expensive and only something celebrities could afford. Now, there are many types of cosmetic options dentists are offering their patients…